The 10 Best Tactical Boots - 2020 Reviews
This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission but it won’t cost you anything)!
If you are looking for the best tactical boots, regardless of what you need them for, you have come to the right place! This guide will help you find the best tactical boots so your feet will be less tired and keep you at your best all day long.
The 10 Best Tactical Boots - Quick List
If you are looking for more comprehensive descriptions of the best tactical boots, keep scrolling past the list of quick links or click here.
The 10 Best Tactical Boots
- TR-1 premium load-bearing orthotic insole helps prevent foot, back, and knee pain
- Highly cushioned EVA midsole absorbs the shock of impact as the foot strikes the ground
- Breathe-Right combat lunar lining helps to keep feet dry and wicks away sweat
- Tactical Research Khyber boots run about ½ size larger than your normal running shoe size, which means you should order...
- Customer after customer said that these Research tactical boots are some of the most comfortable they have ever worn!
- Several women also commented that they love the Khyber Research Tactical Boots because they are so comfortable and just fit well.
- Excellent build quality
- One customer stated that the Khyber Tactical Research boots were very stiff coming out of the box
- Customers love that these boots come out of the box and feel like they are already broken in!
- Lightweight, comfortable and durable
- The boots have a high level of breathability
- One customer complained that the color of the boot received didn't match what he saw in the photo.
- Very comfortable, even for someone who may be standing on concrete all day.
- The boots run true to size.
- Very lightweight and gives you the ability to really move around and maintain support and agility. Chasing bad guys? These boots are going to give you an athletic shoe feel with the support and protection you need.
- Fantastic value for the price. Don't waste your money on cheaper "tactical boots", get these instead!
- One customer stated that they were disappointed that the boots were not pre-worn in.
- This Tactical boot is known for outstanding quality and attention to fine detail; Made of durable nylon webbing and...
- Unsurpassed confront accomplished with the PU Breathable Footbed, and the EVA insole; Zero optical refraction hardware...
- Slip resistance offered from the well-constructed rubber outsole and treads designed to grip the ground as you are...
- For Missions where the need for speed is paramount, this lightweight high-performance tactical boot provides unsurpassed...
- Excellent grip - these Garmont Tactical Boots have insane grip perfect for slippery surfaces or even in un even terrain out in the field. One customer said "these are the grippiest pair of boots I have ever owned!"
- Fantastic quality and build. In other words, these boots are going to last you a while. Don't make the mistake of spending your money on a less expensive pair, only to have them last a few weeks or months. Get it right the first time and buy the Garmont tactical boots.
- Very comfortable and resilient in harsh weather conditions.
- One customer stated that they got blisters while trying to break in the boots.
- YKK side zipper for quick on/off
- Slip resistant rubber outsole
- Durable leather and performance nylon upper
- Moisture wicking, breathable lining
- Many customers purchasing these bootsar return customers.
- Customers love the zippers for easy on and off while still maintaining proper support and protection.
- Very comfortable and lightweight
- Great value
- One customer stated that the boot laces were not the same length
- UA ClutchFit technology wraps your ankle with a lightweight "œsecond skin" for powerful support & incredible feel
- Synthetic leather & textile upper with welded, abrasion resistant film around the perimeter of the foot
- Full length Micro G foam turns cushioned landings into explosive takeoffs
- Lightweight TPU shank for mid foot support & the right amount of rigidity
- Serious COMFORT - It should be no surprise that an athletic shoe company also selling tactical boots would make them very comfortable. Comfort isn't everything but in any tactical boot, it is still very important.
- Quality that Under Armor stands behind.
- Great for all weather conditions and it is also water resistant too!
- One customer stated that the shoes look great but they get dirty easily.
- PREMIUM LEATHER CONSTRUCTION - Made from 100% full grain leather and textile, showcasing a durable construction that's...
- PROFESSIONAL DESIGN - Featuring the 5.11 Shock Mitigation System cushioned insole and oil and slip resistant outsole...
- TACTICAL BOOTS - Integrated with semi-rigid heel and toe reinforcement and open cell foam cushion for a custom and...
- COMFORTABLE WEAR - Developed with the traditional round toe and high cut design, these boots boast classic shape while...
- 511 Tactical boots are known for durability, quality and value
- Zipper foot access - makes it easy to put on and take off. This is a favorite feature for many customers
- Quality materials - You know you are getting good value for your money when they are using good quality materials.
- Easy to break in - nice that you don't have to wait too long for 511 tactical boots to feel like your own.
- Accommodates heavy socks
- Excellent ankle support - good for anyone moving or working on uneven terrain.
- One customer stated that the 511 tactical boots that he ordered were not the same as what he received.
- PROFESSIONAL – Constructed with full grain polishable leather in black, or suede leather in coyote or tan, paired with...
- DURABLE – Made with a stitched heel and toe, the Classic can move in all directions seamlessly. Brass alloy, rust...
- COMFORT – Custom formed phylon EVA midsole for lightweight comfort and cradled support. A steel shank provides a...
- SUPPORT – A texon stability platform provides lateral support and torsional rigidity. Allowing for all side to side...
- Very comfortable and customers often report that there is almost no break in period to the new tactical boots
- AR 670-1 compliant
- Lightweight - helps you to be more agile in changing conditions and will also help reduce fatigue from heavier boots.
- One customer reported that the sizing was not exactly what they expected.
- SMITH & WESSON - Known for outstanding quality and attention to fine detail. We're proud to introduce a boot that sets a...
- TOUGH - The leather and nylon construction is made to provide full protection without compromising on comfort. A...
- COMFORTABLE ALL DAY - An EVA Midsole gives lightweight comfort and cradled support, and for added support we used a...
- SLIP RESISTANCE - The rubber outsole is engineered to minimize traction loss with an innovative pattern that grips dirt,...
- Zippers - The zippers are really handy for taking the boots off without having to deal with the laces after a long day. Quick and easy to put on and also to take off!
- Good quality and value for the price - It IS possible to find a good quality boot for under $100 and this is an excellent option that fits the bill.
- Comfortable - most of our tactical boots recommendations include boots that are comfortable and the Smith & Wesson tactical boots are no exception. One customer reported they had NO Break-In period with these boots. Your mileage may vary but you will be comfortable regardless.
- One customer reported "they don't look comfortable, but they are!" 🙂
- One customer had an issue with one of the boot zippers failing
- For every pair of Maelstrom boots we sell, we donate 1 dollar to the Boot Campaign, a non-profit organization dedicated...
- Boots are available in multiple colors (black, tan) and styles (side zipper, waterproof, insulated). Backed by a one...
- Polishable full grain leather and nylon upper for a professional look. Breathable, moisture wicking lining. Durable...
- Removable, shock absorbent cushion insert for all day comfort. Padded collar and tongue for extra comfort and...
- Very good value for the money. Some customers report solid use and limited wear and tear even after heavy use 1.5 years later.
- Zipper closure - you will really like the combination of the zipper closure and laces to secure the boot to your feet and leg. Provides good support too.
- Well built boots with with a great fit.
- Light weight - using a lighter boot will help to reduce fatigue.
- Strong, wide pull strap on the back
- Removable, shock absorbent cushion insert for all day comfort. Padded collar and tongue for extra comfort and protection. Semi rigid heel and toe reinforcement to retain the shape of the boot.
- One customer said that for them the tread depth was too shallow. This may or may not be a concern to you, depending on what type or aork or activity you are engaged in.
- Boots are not waterproof.
What makes tactical boots, tactical?
The best tactical boots are heavy duty boots made designed to perform and protect in a wide variety of changing environments and weather conditions. The main difference between a pair of work boots and a pair of the best tactical boots is that tactical boots are designed to provide protection and support while keeping the wearer agile and comfortable.
While looking at different types of boots, you may notice similar features between a pair of work boots and a pair of tactical boots but once you try them on, you will notice that the work boots are generally heavier. You will also notice that you are not able to move around as much in the work boot.
The best tactical boots are designed to give you the ultimate combination of function, and protection while allowing you to be nimble and agile, no matter what circumstances you find yourself in.
Components of the best tactical boots
Just as you have multiple components of any high quality boot, the best tactical boots also have multiple components that help ensure you stay supported, comfortable and safe on the job. Whether you work in the military, law enforcement, security or any other job with varying conditions, having the right kind of footwear is essential for your success.
The four primary components of the best tactical boots are the upper, the midsole, the outsole and toe protection.
The upper of your tactical boots is the material above the outsole or sole of the boot. The upper is basically any part of the boot that covers the top of your foot. Depending on the type of boot, as is the case with the best tactical boots, the upper also covers part of the leg or shin as well.
The upper can be made out of multiple materials, depending on how the boot or shoe will be used. It is important to choose the right type of materials for your tactical boot because it affects the performance of the boot. Different materials will impact the weight, water resistance, durability, and breathability of the boot.
Some common materials that are used in the best tactical boots that you may consider in your selection include full grain leather, split -grain leather, nubuck leather and other materials.
The midsole of the boot is the part of the boot that provides cushioning to the foot. The midsole helps to absorb shock and keeps your foot comfortable and supported. The type of material used in the midsole can affect the weight, stability and how your foot reacts over time while wearing the boot.
Midsoles are made primarily of two different materials, EVA (ethylene vinyl acetate) and Polyurethane.
EVA is often lighter and is used to make the overall weight of the shoe lighter. It is also absorbs shock and is waterproof.
Polyurethane is stronger than EVA which means it is also more durable. Since it is more durable, it will last longer and in many cases will be more expensive than a boot with a midsole made out of EVA. If you are reading this article, quality probably is important to you. If you are going to put your tactical boots through its paces, I recommend getting a high quality Polyurethane midsole for your boots.
If you suffer from any number of foot related conditions such as plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendonitis, posterior tibial tendonitis or hallux limitus/rigidus, Podiatrist Jenny Sanders recommends a firmer midsole. In general, when looking at midsoles, a gray EVA midsole will be more firm than a white midsole.
The outsole of the shoe or boot is the part that comes in direct contact with the ground. All shoes have an outsole but the materials of the outsole will vary depending on the type of shoe. For example, many dress shoes use a leather outsole.
A leather outsole won't quite work for the best tactical boots though because it doesn't have the same amount of grip or durability needed.
Most tactical boots are made from natural rubber, polyurethane, or polyvinyl chloride (PVC) compounds.
"Soles can be simple—a single material in a single layer—or they can be complex, with multiple structures or layers and materials." (source)
Another critical component of the best tactical boots includes toe protection. Today there are two different kinds of toe protection, steel toe protection and composite toe protection.
Steel Toe Protection
Steel toe protection is pretty straightforward and has been used as a standard for many years. It is just what it sounds like. The toe box (or front of the boot where your toes go) has a layer of reinforced steel that will protect your toe.
Drop a rock on your foot while out in the field? No problem. Running full speed and kick something that won't budge, no big deal. If you are wearing tactical boots with steel toe protection you won't need to worry. Those toes will be safe!
Composite Toe Protection
Another type of toe protection you may want to consider when buying the best tactical boots is a composite toe protection. Composite toe protection is a combination of different types of materials intended to withstand some of the same dangers you would need steel toe protection for.
One major difference in this material is that it is lighter. Steel is steel and will add some weight to your tactical boots.
A composite material will also provide a lot of protection and should be more comfortable in varying climates and weather conditions. The steel in steel toe boots will be colder in winter and warmer in summer compared to the composite toe protected boots.
If you are looking to be a little more agile and comfortable and don't expect to need the most extreme toe protection (steel), you may want to consider going with a composite material.
What jobs are the best tactical boots used for?
When you think of tactical boots, you may immediately think about combat boots or boots used for soldiers in the military. You are correct that soldiers use tactical boots but there are also other people in other professions who also benefit from using tactical boots. This best tactical boots buying guide will help anyone in these professions.
Another group of people who use tactical boots are law enforcement officers. Whether they are motorcycle patrolmen, SWAT team members or police officers, many law enforcement professionals use tactical boots to provide support and protection day in and day out on the job.
Another group that can also benefit from using the best tactical boots are firefighters. Firefighters could include both the men and women that put out burning structures and homes but also those who fight wildfires in the forest or mountains. Think about the crazy terrain and conditions these heroes face every day and you can see why tactical boots are an excellent choice for them as well.
Tactical boots were designed for people who are working in varying environments or weather conditions, who need footwear that is durable and provides protection. Similar to law enforcement officers, security professionals also require the same amount of protection and durability in many cases. This is why many security professionals choose tactical boots.
Some hard core hikers prefer to use a tactical boot as their main hiking boots. Of course their are other boots designed for the more casual hiker but there are plenty of people who prefer a more robust and durable option for their adventures. The best tactical boots will in general be heavier than regular hiking boots so you will want to consider that as well when selecting your boots.
Thank you for reading this buying guide for The 10 Best Tactical Boots. I hope that you were able to find the best tactical boots to help you stay comfortable, safe and productive on the job.
If you haven't already, please our other buying guides by clicking here.
Work Gear for All specializes in finding the best workwear, work gear and accessories for every situation so you can spend less time shopping and more time finishing the job!